What-is-Poison-Sumac CLAYER- green clay - healing clay - bentonite clay

What is Poison Sumac

Poison sumac is a plant that is native to parts of the United States and Canada and is known for its ability to cause an itchy, blistering rash in many people who come into contact with it. Poison sumac is related to poison ivy and poison oak and contains an oil called urushiol that can cause an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with the skin.

Poison sumac grows as a woody shrub or small tree and is typically found in wet or swampy areas. It has small, green, waxy leaves that are arranged in pairs and clusters of seven to 13. The plant produces small, green or yellow flowers and small, white or tan berries.

If you come into contact with poison sumac, it's important to wash the affected area with soap and water as soon as possible to remove the oil from your skin. Over-the-counter creams and lotions can help to alleviate symptoms, and a healthcare professional may prescribe stronger medications if necessary.
Clayer Poison care contains FDA approved ingredient to treat poison sumac.

It's also a good idea to avoid coming into contact with poison sumac in the future by learning to identify the plant and taking precautions when spending time in areas where it may be present.

Back to blog